Country Artists Salute The Late Earl Scruggs
Stars Take To Twitter To Mourn The American Music Legend
Country and bluegrass music legend Earl Scruggs passed away this morning in a Nashville hospital. He was 88. Fellow artists quickly took to Twitter to express their sadness and respect for the pioneering banjo player. Among the posts:
• Dierks Bentley (@DierksBentley): lost one of the pillars of bluegrass music and country music today. rest in peace #earlscruggs! thanks for a lifetime of music to listen to!
• Charlie Daniels (@Charlie Daniels): I just got the word that my friend Earl Scruggs has passed away. He meant a lot to me. Nobody will ever play a 5 string banjo like Earl
• Billy Ray Cyrus (@BillyRayCyrus): Turnin the banjo up on hillbillyheart and stomp in honor of Earl Scruggs.
• Chely Wright (@ChelyWright): Rest In Peace, Earl Scruggs. A member of a lovely, talented family.
• Steve Martin (@SteveMartinToGo): Earl Scruggs, the most important banjo player who ever lived, has passed on.
• Lee Brice (@leebrice): RIP Earl Scruggs. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
• Chris Young (@ChrisYoungMusic): RIP Earl Scruggs #legend
• James Otto (@jamesotto): Sad. Another musical legend has passed. Earl Scruggs died in Nashville at age 88. RIP Earl.
about the blogger
Veteran entertainment journalist Phyllis Stark has been reporting extensively on the music industry for two decades. As a freelance writer, her work appears regularly in numerous publications and sites. She previously was Nashville Bureau Chief at Billboard magazine.