Briefs: Hank Williams, Jr. Offering Free Song For Memorial Day
Plus, News From Kenny Chesney, George Jones, Luke Bryan And More
• Hank Williams, Jr.’s Facebook page has now surpassed one million “likes.” To celebrate, Williams is offering a free download of his new single “That Ain’t Good,” which is available through midnight on Memorial Day at www.hankjr.com. The song is from his upcoming album, “Old School, New Rules,” due out July 10.
“I have the most loyal fans and that’s what makes my job so easy,” Williams says. “I only do 20-25 shows a year and my fans love the music. The best way to celebrate with them is to offer a free download of my new single this holiday weekend.”
• Country Music Hall of Fame member George Jones, who was re-admitted to a Nashville area hospital on May 21 for a continuing battle with a persistent upper respiratory infection, was released on May 26 and is resting at home.
“I can’t thank my friends and fans enough for all their support,” says Jones. “[Wife] Nancy has got me a new team of doctors to help me get through this, and it seems to be working. I look forward to seeing everyone soon.”
• Luke Bryan will perform for a romantic date in the third episode of “The Bachelorette,” which airs May 28. During this one-on-on date in the streets of downtown Charlotte, N.C., Bryan will perform his current single, “Drunk On You,” and his No. 1 hit “Do I.” “The Bachelorette” airs at 8 p.m. (ET) Monday on ABC.
• Kenny Chesney is expanding his partnership with sunglasses manufacturer Costa with the introduction of five new designs featuring Chesney’s signature and palm tree logo on the inside of the frames. Five percent of the proceeds benefit Coastal Conservation Association (CCA) and its marine conservation efforts. The partnership with Chesney, which launched in 2011, has raised more than $50,000 for CCA to date.
• Jo Dee Messina’s humorous parenting blog, “The Fumbling Mom,” has been picked up for periodic publication by Nashville’s daily newspaper, The Tennessean, where it will run in the family section of the print and online versions of the paper. Messina launched the blog in January.
about the blogger
Veteran entertainment journalist Phyllis Stark has been reporting extensively on the music industry for two decades. As a freelance writer, her work appears regularly in numerous publications and sites. She previously was Nashville Bureau Chief at Billboard magazine.