Willie Nelson To Release Eclectic ‘Heroes’ Album In May
Diverse Guests Range From Merle Haggard To Snoop Dogg
Willie Nelson will release a new album, titled “Heroes,” on May 15. It’s being described as a mix of new songs and “re-imagined” classics, including covers from the 30s and 40s. Nelson diverse list of guest artists appearing on the project includes Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Sheryl Crow, Ray Price, Jamey Johnson, Billy Joe Shaver, and Snoop Dogg.
The album’s new songs include some compositions from Nelson, as well as his musician sons, Lukas Nelson and Micah Nelson, both of whom also perform on the set. The 14-song album was recorded in Austin, Texas, and Nashville and produced by veteran Nashville producer Buddy Cannon (Kenny Chesney).
The album opens with Nelson and Merle Haggard joining forces on a new rendition of “A Horse Called Music” (the title song from Nelson’s 1989 album). That’s followed by “Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die,” one of the album's new Nelson songs, with the recording featuring special guests Snoop Dogg, Kristofferson and Johnson.
Other brand-new Nelson compositions on “Heroes” are “Hero,” featuring guest appearances by Johnson and Shaver, and “Come On Back Jesus,” featuring Lukas and Micah Nelson.
The collection includes Cannon’s new composition, “That's All There Is To This Song,” and three tunes penned by Lukas Nelson—“No Place To Fly,” “Every Time He Drinks He Thinks of Her,” and “The Sound of Your Memory.” Lukas performs with his father on several of the album’s tracks including the Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan composition “Come On Up To The House,” performed with Sheryl Crow.
Nelson revisits the roots of classic country with the 1930s ballad “My Window Faces The South,” Fred Rose’s “Home In San Antone” from 1943, and 1949’s “Cold War With You,” with guest artist Price.
Nelson interpretation of Coldplay’s “The Scientist,” previously featured in an animated short film produced by restaurant chain Chipotle, is also included on “Heroes,” as is Nelson’s interpretation of Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe,” performed with Lukas.
Here’s the complete track listing:
1. "A Horse Called Music" (with Merle Haggard & Lukas Nelson)
2. "Roll Me Up And Smoke Me When I Die" (with Snoop Dogg, Kris Kristofferson, Jamey Johnson)
3. "That’s All There Is To This Song"
4. "No Place To Fly" (with Lukas Nelson)
5. "Every Time He Drinks He Thinks Of Her" (with Lukas Nelson)
6. "Come On Up To The House" (with Lukas Nelson & Sheryl Crow)
7. "Hero" (with Billy Joe Shaver, Jamey Johnson)
8. "My Window Faces The South" (with Lukas Nelson)
9. "The Sound Of Your Memory" (with Lukas Nelson)
10. "Cold War With You" (with Lukas Nelson & Ray Price)
11. "Just Breathe" (with Lukas Nelson)
12. "My Home In San Antone" (with Lukas Nelson)
13. "Come On Back Jesus" (with Lukas Nelson & Micah Nelson)
14. "The Scientist"
live local music on
Enter your ZIP code to see concerts happening in your area.
Data provided by Zvents