'X Factor' creator lashes out at NBC for adding additional night for season premiere
On Wednesday, Sept. 5, bosses at NBC announced that a third night of the blind auditions will air next Wednesday, Sept. 12., following the previously scheduled premiere on Monday, Sept. 10, and Tuesday, Sept. 11. With the new Wednesday episode, "The Voice" will be in the same time slot as the season two premiere of FOX's "The X Factor."
Preview: 'The Voice' vs. 'The X Factor'
Cowell is furious over the switch-up, telling TMZ.com that NBC execs broke the "gentleman's agreement" he had with them, which would have allowed viewers to watch both singing competition programs. He insisted, "This is a cynical, cold-hearted, unprofessional way of doing business. These guys have really got it in for us. It's nothing short of dirty tricks."
The Brit believes "The Voice" showrunners are gunning for Cowell because when the UK version of "The Voice" began, it was pitted against "Britain's Got Talent," another Cowell created show, and "BGT" trumped "The Voice" in ratings. In addition to the shows going up against each other, the schedule change reignites the feud between "The Voice" judge Christina Aguilera and her longtime rival Britney Spears on "The X Factor" panel. Cowell adds, "Britney's not going to appreciate the fact that Christina - who has been a bit of a rival - isn't allowing Britney to have a night of her own. She's going to be devastated because she's put her heart and soul into this. "The reason they've done this is they don't want people to see 'X Factor' because they've heard how good the series is. They don't want their audience to see Britney Spears. They don't want their audience to see Demi Lovato." With just days away from both season premieres, Cowell is fed up with the peacock network and their ratings ploys. He says, "I can't bear it that the network is playing political games and playing with the audience."
"The Voice" premieres Monday, Sept. 10, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on NBC, and "The X Factor" premieres Wednesday, Sept. 12, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on FOX.
Report: Reality TV family not getting rich off TLC series just yet
Happy child labor day, folks!
To explode the myth that fame and wealth always walk hand in hand, you need only look as far as Honey Boo Boo Child. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the family of seven-year-old Alana Thompson -- the hottest reality star of the moment -- earned only $40,000 from the first season of TLC's "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo."
That's $10,000 less per year than the average annual teaching salary in the family's home state of Georgia.
Yet "Honey Boo Boo" earned three million viewers for its Aug. 29 episode alone, eclipsing not only "Toddlers & Tiaras" -- the show from which it spun off -- but every single network's coverage of the Republican National Convention.
Of course, there are always the negotiations for next season.
"Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" airs Wednesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT on TLC.
'Real Housewives of Orange County' star says she applied for the series as a joke
The reality star joined the "Real Housewives of Orange County" during the third season, which allowed her to watch the drama and gossip unfold on TV before jumping into the fray herself. In an interview with Emme magazine, Barney describes the unusual way "Housewives" producers hired her for the program.
She explains, "It was a freak thing, and I still don’t understand why I was picked. I jokingly filled out an online application that my friend sent to me, not thinking for one second they would call me. I was totally obnoxious (mocking the show). We were both were laughing at my answers. I didn’t send any pictures and didn’t show up to the casting call in Newport (California). So when they called me a few days later, I almost dropped the phone."
The joke clearly became a more serious situation for Barney, who spent the next month interviewing for the casting staff, and was eventually hired to join the show. She decided to give in to the show she once mocked, and admits, "Everything happens for a reason… here goes another chapter in my life... you can’t beat getting paid for being yourself."
Recently fired judge says he has no bad feelings toward former boss Tyra Banks
After spending 10 years on the CW's hit modelling competition, the famed photographer was fired from "America's Next Top Model" in April, along with other fan favorites Jay Manuel and J. Alexander, as part of a major show revamp. Although many fans lashed out at Banks for cutting the program's staple judges, Barker insists they are still on good terms.
He shares his sympathy for the supermodel and explains to Page Six Magazine, "I know it was tough on Tyra as well. It’s never easy to fire someone, least of all, of course, a friend. At the same time, this is business and things change. She’s a good girl, a strong woman, and she’s done a lot with her life."
Barker, who was featured for 18 seasons on the series, insists that he will still watch Banks on the 19th cycle, but will continue to move forward with the next journey in his career. He adds, "It’s a great show. The bottom line is, I’m happy for her, and we’re (with wife Crissy) onto bigger and better things ourselves. We’re excited for the next chapter in all our lives." The former model has signed on to continue his reality TV stint as a host on supermodel Naomi Campbell's new show, "The Face," which pits aspiring models against each other for the grand prize of becoming the face of a major brand.
"America's Next Top Model: College Edition" airs Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on the CW.
Reality TV matriarch seems to have made up with her former rival
Sharon Osbourne has revealed that her former rival Simon Cowell reached out to her when her son Jack was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Earlier this year, the reality TV matriarch attacked the music mogul for negative comments he made about her.
But after a touching gesture on Cowell's behalf, the bickering pals have made up. In June, Osbourne's son Jack was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and in the midst of an outpouring of support from friends and fans, it came as a shock when Cowell contacted her.
The "America's Got Talent" judge reveals, "One of the first people to reach out to me when Jack was diagnosed with MS was Simon. And that meant very much to me. Because it meant maybe he loves me, just a little bit ... We're like brother and sister. We row, then we make up. We love each other, then we fight, then we love each other, then we fight." The pair is on such amicable terms that Cowell has hired Osbourne to return to the UK version of "The X Factor," after she sat at the judges' table for the first four seasons. She joins panelist Louis Walsh for the judges' house rounds in Las Vegas this series.
"The X Factor" premieres Wednesday, Sept .12, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on NBC.
J.Lo's ex rumored to be the talent competition's latest asset
Olympic medalist in talks with E! to score his own reality show
Former winner convinced rapper would make a great judge
Jordin Sparks has thrown her support behind Nicki Minaj in the race for a seat on the "American Idol" panel.
Producers behind the hit TV talent show are currently searching for a panelist to join newcomer Mariah Carey for the next season following the departures of Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. Minaj is rumored to be in contention for the coveted job, and the show's former winner Sparks is convinced the rapper would make a great judge.
She tells New York Post gossip column Page Six, "I think Nicki would be great. It would be so fun to see what she does because she's so unpredictable. I met her the other day, and she is so sweet." Sparks is also a fan of another potential panelist --country singer Keith Urban. She adds, "I think it would be cool to bring somebody with a country flair who has that experience."
"American Idol" returns in January 2013 on FOX.