Behind the Scenes: 'DWTS' Motown Week
What you didn't see or hear during the commercial breaks
By Minh Nguyen
Special to MSN TV
It was Motown Week on "Dancing With the Stars" and some legends were on hand to pay tribute to the extremely influential era in music. The father of Motown, Berry Gordy Jr., watched as Smokey Robinson, the Temptations and Martha Reeves performed while the "stars" and professional dancers performed.
In addition to the legends, an all-white tribute group to the musical era, Human Nature performed. Motown week injected the show with some much-needed diversity and made many of us think that they should add more of a diverse mix to the professional dancer lineup as well. What did you think of the show? Share your thoughts with us on Facebook and Twitter!
We love Gladys and Tristan, but we think they'll be going home tonight.
Top 10 Things Seen and Heard During the Breaks:
1. The silver curtains were bolted down, but, somehow, two guys accidentally ripped them down during a commercial break. A lightbulb broke in the process and everything had to be vacuumed and swept up. It took more than 10 men to carry the frames and the curtains away.
2. We can confirm there is nothing going on between Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas as the rumors might have you believe. Instead, he walked his artsy, (also) beautiful blond girlfriend to her chair (which was right in front of ours) and flirted with her all night long.
3. Warm-Up Guy (WUG) asked a couple in the audience who said they've been married for 58 years, "What is the secret to being married 58 years?"
Husband: "Be compliant."
WUG: "Give the kids another word for compliance."
Husband: "Obey!" (Laughter throughout the ballroom)
4. After Gladys' and Tristan's dance, the audience stood up and cheered. Len shook his head to Carrie Ann. The expression on his face was, "I am not looking forward to telling her she was bad."
5. WUG (after Roshon and Chelsie's dance), "Don't yell anything random; just yell boo!"
6. Katherine Jenkins and Mark Ballas were the only couple to thank the judges after their dance. Katherine came up to Bruno and kissed him on both cheeks. She shook Len and Carrie Ann's hands. Len said, "I loved it!"
7. Kym Johnson and Jaleel White didn't seem very close off camera. Usually couples hold hands and help each other around the ballroom. Instead, Jaleel was walking ahead of Kym, but they turned it on once the cameras were rolling.
8. Mark Ballas (flirting with his girlfriend before the Motown dance-fff): "Anyone seen Kermit? I have it (the costume) right here. Green: It's the color of money!"
9. When Maks and Melissa came out for the dance-off, he formed his right hand into a pistol, put it in his mouth and pretended to pull the trigger. Melissa slapped him. Yes, Maks, we know Melissa is not the best dancer, but there really is no need to shoot yourself.
10. During the dance-off, the judges all hold paddles with the names of the couples. The judges stand up, point and talk it out with one another to see who should leave. Eventually,they raise a paddle with a couple's names on it. Someone from the production team (wearing all black) then taps on the unlucky couple's shoulders to let them know they are done.
Click here to see our Bonus Moment of the Night on our Facebook page.
"Dancing With the Stars" airs Mondays at 8 p.m. ET/PT and Tuesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.