'Dancing With the Stars' cast officially announced
Wynonna, Aly Raisman, Dorothy Hamill, Kellie Pickler among the Season 16 roster of stars
By Tim Molloy
Unpredictable comedian? Check. Olympians? Check. Bunch of people you've never heard of? Of course.
ABC announced the new contestants for fading reality series "Dancing With the Stars," and went with the usual mix of young Disney talent, athletes and weirdos.
Andy Dick will provide the unpredictability, given a history of alcohol-related groping and indecent exposure arrests. D.L. Hughley will also represent the comedy world, but is more likely to keep his clothes on.
Wynonna Judd and Kellie Pickler will give country music fans a couple of people to root for. And Judd could be this year's Bristol Palin -- in other words, someone sort of political -- if half-sister Ashley Judd opts to run for the U.S. Senate from Kentucky.
Olympians Dorothy Hamill and Alexandra Raisman will add some respectability to the whole affair. NFL star Jacoby Jones and boxer Victor Ortiz's athleticism make them serious contenders as well, to the extent that anything about "DWTS" is serious.
The show will need lots of competitors who know how to stage a comeback, because it's attempting one as well. Ratings are down, and a recent All-Star season failed to inject new life into the series.
Here's the Season 16 cast:
- Wynonna Judd, five-time Grammy-winning country star (with Tony Dovolani)
- D.L. Hughley, comedian and actor (with Cheryl Burke)
- Jacoby Jones, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver (with Karina Smirnoff)
- Lisa Vanderpump, star of "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills" and "Vanderpump Rules" (with Gleb Savchenko)
- Andy Dick, actor and comedian (with Sharna Burgess)
- Victor Ortiz, former WBC Welterweight Champion (with "So You Think You Can Dance" finalist Lindsay Arnold)
- Zendaya Coleman, Disney Channel star (with Val Chmerkovskiy)
- Aly Raisman, Olympic gold medalist in gymnastics (with Mark Ballas)
- Ingo Rademacher, "General Hospital" star (with Kym Johnson)
- Kellie Pickler, country music star and former "American Idol" contestant (with Derek Hough)
- Dorothy Hamill, Olympic gold medalist in figure skating (with Tristan MacManus)
"Dancing With the Stars" returns Monday, March 18, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.
I am at a loss for words and it is so not like me. WOW, well there some I am glad to see and I mean some. Majority of the others, definitely not gun ho about.
This is just a wait and see season. I will miss seeing Chelsea, Peta, Louis, Anna and even Maks. It will be difficult to see the new pros,but it is what it is.
I make a prediction that the ony difference with this season as opposed to others, is this will NOT be a popularity contest. With all the " stars" I can see this season being totally based on the dancing. Who can dance and who just does not have what it takes.
Interesting choices, just wonder who is in charge of making the decisions. This LIsa Vanderpump, WTH? First of all I think these housewives of wherever is the most waste of time shows. Who cares and they make the bucks being wannabe's. Wannabe what I have no clue but REALLY? Yeah,my stomach did 360's when she was introduced. I could go on with my comments except it won't change anything. As I said, it is what it is.
I hope this is goin to be a great season. I love the show and I always will watch it. It brings out alot of opions I love to read. And ideas I like to read also. I love the costume,lights,action,drama,audiance.
I like it all!!!
However, with Dorothy in the lineup, I have every reason to believe America will vote for their sweetheart. She can probably dance well too!!
I wonder when they will have real stars, like Ben Afleck, Johnny Depp, Salma Hayek, Ellen or Oprah? Come on, that would be AWESOME!
So will Andy Dick's partner be male? Sharna is a man's name, right? lol